Danish for au pairs
Who can apply?
At Speak we also offer Danish courses for you who work as an au pair in Denmark. The courses are not exclusively for au pairs but you will often meet other au pairs in your class.
”At Speak, I would probably say that ”learning is more fun!” As an au pair, it is so vital to learn the Danish language, because it is one way for us to participate in this ”cultural exchange program.” And besides learning Danish we also make new friends. I highly recommend Speak to au pairs like me, because Danish is a useful tool for us to communicate effectively with our host families and especially the kids.”
Leslie Pearl Salares Llano
Philippine au pair
You will learn Danish in a classroom setting with other internationals in Denmark. It will give you ample opportunity to build a network of people who are staying in Denmark under similar circumstances to you.
What will you learn?
You will learn the type of Danish that you need day-to-day as an au pair in Denmark. And more than that. You will learn to communicate with your host family and the children in the family, but you will also learn to get by in Danish in your leisure time. If you have the time and the interest, you may finish the course by sitting Danish Language 2 Examination.
Danish Language 2
Danish courses for au pairs are typically organised as Danish Language 2 courses. Danish Language 2 consists of 6 modules. You will start with module 1. After every module, you will be asked to sit an examination and if you pass, you will be able to progress to the next module. It is up to you how many modules you want to take. If you finish module 6, you will be able to sit the Danish Language 2 Examination.
You must have at least ten years of schooling and some knowledge of English.
- We offer courses for au pairs in Hellerup, Lyngby and Frederiksberg.
- For courses in Helsingør, please see here
- We start new courses every month and you can expect a class offer within a month unless you have very specific requests.
- + means that classroom teaching is supplemented with extra online assignments and exercises.
- Hellerup/Lyngby/Frederiksberg : twice a week : 9.00 – 14.15 & 9.00 – 12.00 +
- Hellerup/Lyngby : twice a week : 18.15 – 20.45
- Frederiksberg : twice a week : 17.30 – 20.00 (1 classroom session & 1 online Teams session)
- The courses are free, if you have a residence permit as an au pair.
Rules relating to Danish language courses
As a general rule, you are entitled to free Danish education for a maximum of 5 years from your arrival to Denmark.
You need to attend an interview with a language consultant, before you can enrol.