Danish for medical practitioners
Who can apply?
Speak provides tailored Danish language courses for foreign medical practitioners who wish to attain authorisation in order to practice medicine in Denmark. These tailored courses are also for medical practitioners who have authorisation but wish to focus on a specific hospital ward or medical specialism.
We offer 3 different basic courses. In addition to this, you can choose extra course addons/elements. Read about our 3 different course offers and extra options below.
1. Danish Language Course for MD's at Gentofte Hospital
This course is our most popular and extensive Danish course and it takes place at Gentofte Hospital. We offer module 3.4 & 3.5.
The course holds the same elements as the regular Danish classes, but with a main focus on areas that are important, when working as a medical doctor in Denmark. For example a vocabulary related to the human body and diseases as well as focus on a good pronunciation, communication with patients and colleagues and knowledge about the Danish health care system.
All course participants are medical doctors or dentists, which gives you a good opportunity to build and expand your professional network.
In addition to these regular Danish lessons, you can choose an extra clinical module and clinical lectures on Wednesdays.
In module 3.5, we focus on Danish Examination 3 (PD3) in order to ensure that you obtain the grades that are required to apply for Danish authorisation. You will be taught by our medical Danish teachers and also by Danish medical doctors. You will be able to practice and participate in simulated conversations with patients based on concrete cases every week.
The course includes an introduction to the Danish health care system and assistance to find unpaid placements/internships.
In addition to the Danish lessons, you can choose an extra clinical module, clinical lectures on Wednesdays and preparation for the oral medical test (OSCE).
- Module 4: Mondays 9 – 14.15 & Tuesdays 9 – 12 (+ possible extra addons).
- Module 5: Thursdays 9 – 14.15 & Fridays 9 – 14.15 (+ possible extra addons).
In addition: possible internship.
- The course is free of charge, if you hold a municipal referral. However, you must pay a one-off deposit of DKK 2000,-. See deposit rules here. Extra addons can be paid by yourself or you can apply for payment in your municipality.
- If you do not hold any municipal referral, the price is DKK 124,- per lesson (45 minutes) + extra for possible addons.
- Prices include the fee to sit Danish Language 3 Examination.
2. Online Danish Language Course for MD's
This is a skype/online course for medical practitioners who are required to pass the Danish Language 3 Examination (PD3), but are unable to attend the Danish Language Course for Medical Practitioners at Gentofte Hospital. We tailor the course material to focus on your language needs that you may have in relation to a potential position in a particular ward and to ensure that you achieve the grades that are required to sit for the medical knowledge examinations. You will skype once a week with your teacher and you will have 5 online lessons per week, when you complete and hand in your homework.
In addition to the Danish lessons, you can choose an extra clinical module, clinical lectures on Wednesdays and preparation for the OSCE (only module 5).
- Skyping once a week + online exercises (6 weekly lessons in total)
- The course is free of charge if you hold a municipal referral. However, you must pay a one-off deposit of DKK 2000,- + extra for possible addons. See deposit rules here.
- If you do not hold a municipal referral, the price is DKK 124,- per lesson (45 minutes) + extra for possible addons.
- Prices include the fee to sit Danish Language 3 Examination.
Clinical module (addon for module 4 & 5)
In this clinical module, you will work with medical subjects and previous assignments from the written medical test and also cases for oral training. It is training in the Danish clinical language and preparation for the medical test – including good strategies for both the oral and written medical test.
The clinical module is conducted by Dr. Mona Savran.
- Place: Gentofte Hospital, Ledreborg Alle stairway 20B in Hellerup.
- Time: Saturdays from 10 to 13.30
- Upcoming dates: 9 April 2022 (Nephrology) & 30 April 2022 (Hematology)
- Price: DKK 485,- per session (you may apply to your municipality for payment).
Clinical lectures (addon for module 4 & 5)
Clinical lectures are presentations by different medical doctors. The course is generally based on the most frequent medical problems and illnesses.
Every Wednesday a new doctor will be teaching. It may be a resident or a specialist. Some of the doctors are Danes and others are foreign doctors who themselves have obtained Danish authorisation and permission to work independently.
- Place: Online via Zoom. You will receive link upon registration.
- Time: Wednesdays from 12.30 to 14.30.
- Dates: From Wednesday 19 January to Wednesday 4 May, both days included (vacation on 16/2 & 14/4).
- Price: DKK 250,- per session (you may apply to your municipality for payment).
Preparation for the OSCE (addon for module 5)
This course is for medical doctors who are registered to participate in the oral medical test (OSCE).
The course is an OSCE-preparatory course in CPR with a maximum of 10 participants. The course focuses on CPR both theoretically and simulated and you will learn to recognize rhytms and to use AED.
The course will be conducted by Dr. Liva Christensen.
- Place: Gentofte Hospital
- Time: 1 April 2022 from 17 to 19.30 or 29 April 2022 from 17 to 19.30 (the courses are identical)
- Price: 410 DKK (you may apply in your municipality for payment)
3. Danish Language 3 Examination Course for MD's
This course consists of targeted online one-on-one teaching, with the objective of improving your Danish Language 3 Examination result. You will discuss with your teacher on the areas that you need to focus on and a tailor-made programme will be made just for you. We also provide this course in a face-to-face version. The course will be concluded with the Danish Language 3 Examination.
Rules relating to Danish language courses
You are required to complete your Danish language course within the deadlines of a so-called klippekort (a voucher system). This means, for example, that you have to set deadlines to complete the individual modules of your course and the course in its entirety:
– If you are a self-supporting student, the general rule is that you must complete your Danish language course within 3½ years.
– If you are referred under the Integration Act, the general rule is that you must complete your Danish language course within 5 years.
You need to attend an interview with a language consultant, before you can enrol. If you are already a Speak-student, please contact us for a special medical-Danish interview.
Read more on Danish language courses at integrationsviden.dk